Friday, April 24, 2009

HEY APATHY! ONLINE COMIC PAGE THREE


HEY APATHY! ONLINE COMIC PAGE THREE: This page depicts the young anti-hero awaking suddenly from precognitive nightmares of an impending apocalypse. In a trance like moment of realisation, the little person leaves his bedroom and proceeds to his basement studio. Here he turns on some music, stands in the middle of a large sheet of paper and hand carves a pen out of bamboo. The ritual acts as like a seance, resurecting the spirit of the musician on the tape. Fully understanding the extent of the young artists inspiration, the spirit warns him of possible future threats. Despite these horrific premonitions the artist and ghost both agree that the drawings must be created, and the stories must be told.

I started drawing seriously around Dec 1999. At this time my focus was on creating surrealist horror comics, chop full of all kinds of nasty things (cannibal diners,witches etc.) However my objectives changed drastically the following winter. One evening I set out to start drawing when I found an old Beatles tape. The album documented the groups progression from pop stars to activists. I had an epiphany (symbolized by headlessness in the comics) and came to the realisation that if I was going to make comics, that they should be about real conflicts, and potentially have some sort of social value. Following this experience I started work on HEY APATHY!










No comments:

Post a Comment