Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Online Comics APATHY AND DESPAIR


This little short entitled "APATHY and DESPAIR" was made way back in the winter of 2001-02. I wanted to do a corresponding artist statement in the form of a comic book for my first exhibition of the HEY APATHY! artworks. The auto-biographical narration follows my weird experiences upon my earliest ventures to the monstrous metropolis. Having suffered a bout agoraphobia enhanced by a fear of mass media manipulation and an overwhelming populace of apathetic denizens, I decided to eliminate all my personal possessions and hide in my basement apartment. In the strip the character uses his commercial and material articles to barricade himself underground.

Like wise I hid in my home turned studio for an extended period of time while I developed my earliest ink drawings. Upon completion of the exhibit I returned to the big city to show the work and continue to investigate the urban atrocity. This comic depicts those initial sensations of despair and the influential experiences surrounding my early creative processes.

I had actually intended to draw a second chapter to this story which would explain the invention of my nightmarish APOCALYPSE drawings. The first series of HEY APATHY! artworks had two parts to it, one representative of our current state of nihilistic conformity and the other a series of premonitions of the apocalypse awaiting us if we did not change our ways. The idea was to eventually film the narrative in live action and have the two part comic as a sort of program for the moving picture. Although I completed the APATHY! portion of the book and film (shot on 16mm staring Mike DeCrook as the artist) I sort of lost interest in the project and started working on a bunch of animations instead. Anyways I came across a photocopied magazine version of the story and thought it would make an interesting dream sequence in the online comic. Eventually I will also transfer the film stock to video because it is pretty weird. We did a nice job on the high contrast lighting and some cool experimental overlays with drippy black oozing ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment