Monday, March 22, 2010

Online comic page 15


Online Comics page 15, another depiction of my early artistic processes. Way back in 2001 I started drawing large scale ink on paper murals as part of the first instalment of HEY APATHY! I spent the entire summer dividing my days between a job landscaping and my evening working on the murals. They where all drawn with black India ink and a hand carved bamboo pen. The general routine involved about 5 hours each night working on the insanely intricate and massive artworks. I completed 13 large works that summer so as to have them ready for exhibition before I returned to the Ontario College of art and design in fall. I didn't actually have an exhibition space yet, or even really any plans as how to get one, but I plugged away and made the murals any ways. When I started back to the college I started making smaller and more accessible artworks based on the themes in the larger drawings. The idea being the exhibition would include hundreds of pieces ranging in size from 5 x 7 inches to 12 x 15 feet. The creation of the little works was ideal for my commute as I generally had about 1-1.5 hours of travel time to kill. I think that I would finish 2-3 of these each day and often drew on the backs of the paper as well. I would go to the dollar store on the weekends to buy frames which I would then use as a palette to work on. The little glass and cardboard was perfect for portable drawings and when they were done they were already ready for the wall. It is actually creepy thinking about it now because all of these early processes are very similar to the kinds of techniques I would use later on as a street artist and performer. I actually never really realized how intricate and precise the connections were until I started recollecting my processes here. Damn I feel old thinking back to that little introverted, innocent, and unassuming hopeful of 22 years. I already knew back then everything that was going to happen, unconsciously that is, but for some reason I insisted on doing it all anyways. check out these early drawings at http://www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/drawings-art-comics-2001.html

No comments:

Post a Comment